The Capitol GCS Transit Executive Bench is a group of highly experienced, high ranking former Transit Industry Executives who now support Capitol GCS. This team includes former Transit Agency executives who held positions at the Director, General Manager, and CEO level .
These individuals have taken on all the issues that can arise in the operation of a major metropolitan transit agency. They can provide current executive insights and strategic solutions to solve their most pressing transit concerns. At Capitol GCS we match talents to roles.
You need the project done, and done right. We are customer service focused and the expertise of our Transit Executive Bench ensures risk-free and on-time project implementation.
• General Manager – Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
• Deputy Chief Executive Officer – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Director – Big Blue Bus
• Director – Operations – Orange County Transportation Authority
Mr. Catoe has contributed greatly to the extension and enhancement of public transportation offerings throughout the U.S. for over three decades. Over the course of his career, he has led some of the largest transit agencies in the country.
John served as the general manager for WMATA from 2007 through 2010, holding oversight of a $2 billion budget and more than ten thousand employees. During his tenure, he developed plans and secured funding for capital improvements to infrastructure.
Prior to his post at WMATA, he served as the Deputy Chief Executive Officer for the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) from 2001 through 2007.
While serving as the Director for the City of Santa Monica’s Big Blue Bus, he expanded services by 40 percent and improved ridership by 36 percent. Under his leadership, the agency received the Los Angeles County Transportation Commission’s Metro Award for Efficiency, as well as APTA’s Outstanding Safety Award and two Outstanding Achievement Awards.
From 1979 through 1995, John worked for the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA). While serving as the Agency’s Director of Transit Services, he managed the consolidation of the former transit district into the newly created authority.
- 34+ years of Executive Level transportation agency experience
- Developed strategic plans for multiple transit agencies, including the development and implementation of a 10-year, $11 billion capital construction and rehabilitation plan at WMATA
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration University of Redlands
- Graduate, Management Northeastern University, Massachusetts
• Director of Procurement/Project Manager -Sun Tran
• Director of Project Management – Sun Tran
• Director of Maintenance – Sun Tran
A highly experienced professional with 40 years’ experience in Fleet Maintenance and 29 years’ experience in Transit Maintenance and Operations, Buy America compliance, project management, production/delivery of vehicles, systems facility, and traction power equipment for transit organizations.
As Director of Procurement/Project Management, directed and managed the Sun Tran capital programs, projects, and procurements to include projects associated with the Regional Transit Authority including the expansion service for Sun Tran and Sun Van. During this time he planned, directed, coordinated, and defined controls for the maintenance of vehicle and the bus maintenance facilities. Mr. Faulkner is experienced in specification development, design, production oversight/vehicle delivery and Buy America compliance.
- 40 years’ experience in fleet maintenance and 29 years’ experience in Transit Maintenance and Operations
- Extensive knowledge in management of capital programs, project management, bus and vehicle procurements, management of transit maintenance facilities, production/delivery of vehicles, systems facility, and traction power equipment.
- Certificate in Diesel & Automotive Technology
- Cortez Community College
• Director of Transportation Operations – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Assistant Manager, Bus Operations Control Center – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Manager of Transportation Operations, Div. 9 & 5 – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Transportation Manager, Div 18 – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Ms.Karpman is a highly experienced Manager/Director with over 25 years’ experience in transportation operations, financial budgeting, oversight of Workers’ Compensation Program, witness for Worker’s Compensation hearings, arbitration and court cases and formulation of new policies and procedures.
Experienced with planning and directing the daily activities of a transportation division to achieve Metro’s vision and goals related to safety, strategic planning, and customer satisfaction. Ensured efficiency of operations, cost effectiveness and positive management labor relations. Knowledgeable in conducting disciplinary investigations, hearings, and counseling sessions. Directed and managed staff of over 400 employees and 8 transit routes.
- 25+ years of experience in transportation operations with a large transit agency. Skilled in networking with various departments and outside agencies to coordinate, schedule and advance procedural improvements to the operations to ensure quality service.
- Developed and delivered quality projects from inception to closeout on time and within the scope and budget of the projects.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management, University of Phoenix
- Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix
Mr. Kuruppu is a well-rounded transportation planning professional with over 28 years of experience. Collaboratively developed strategic plans, planned / deployed award-winning transit/mobility services, designed / delivered innovative capital improvement projects, developed financial resources to implement plans and led top transportation agencies.
Developed and implemented over 15 Short Range Transit Plans / Long Range Transit Plans (policies, programs, fare policies, operating and capital improvement plans, funding/grants, outreach/marketing and human resources/talent) over the past twenty-eight years. These plans were recognized by both the American Planning Association (APA) and the American Public Transportation Association (APTA).
- 20+ years of executive level experience
- Developed and implemented over 15 Short and Long Range Transit Plans (SRTP/LRTP)
- Managed over $2 billion in FTA and Caltrans grants for capital projects
- Certificate, Transportations Operations Planning, MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, California State University, San Bernardino
- Associate of Arts, Paralegal Studies, Phillips College
- Associate of Science, Electrical Engineering, San Bernardino Valley College
• CFO – Capitol Transit
• CFO – Omnitrans
• President – RLMA Consulting
Mr. Miller is a finance professional with 40+ years of experience providing executive-level expertise to both the public and private sectors. His general management leadership experience emphasizes the development, implementation and subsequent measurement of results from innovative strategies within the financial, IT, acquisition and contract negotiation functions.
While CEO at Omnitrans, he oversaw the financial affairs of the Agency during the 2008 financial meltdown as its sales tax-based revenues declined by more than 30%. He reorganized the finance group trimming staff by 20% while expanding delivered services to include a Treasury function to support the delivery of FTA small start projects.
Later, he was brought into Capital Transit of Baton Rouge, LA when that agency decided to terminate its CEO. His analysis of their financial situation revealed that they would be insolvent in 90 days. Working with the CEO, the Board and management, he successfully addressed short term liquidity issues and moved forward with modified operating budgets and plans that conformed to accurate revenue projections while meeting the requirement to maintain service levels.
- C-level financial practices expert
- Saved a transit agency from insolvency
- Expert in contracts negotiation for public and private sectors
- Master of Science in Management, Stanford University
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Stanford University
• Senior Equipment Maintenance Manager – Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Mr. Quigg is a rolling stock expert with 27+ years of experience at the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Planned and managed the maintenance program for the entire fleet of buses. Managed a staff of 175 and contracts in excess of $650 million.
Managed a procurement program for CNG fueled buses, with a total budget in excess of $236 million. Tasks included technical point of contact for any problems related to the entire bus, but more specifically to the engine, fuel system and logistics for fueling, inspection and many other issues of high pressure natural gas fuel systems.
- 27 years of bus operations management expertise
- Fleet maintenance management expert
- Accomplished procurement management expert
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, California State University, Sacramento
- Associate Degree, Spokane Community College
• Regional Administrator – Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Region IX
• Deputy Regional Administrator – FTA Region IX
• Regional Counsel – FTA, various regions
Mr. Rogers is participating with the Transit Executive Bench after completing a 39-year career with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) in 2018. He served the prior 22 years as the Regional Administrator (RA) of Region IX, headquartered in San Francisco with a satellite office in Los Angeles. Prior to his tenure as RA, he served as the Deputy RA for three years. As the RA, Mr. Rogers provided executive leadership in the planning, project development, and project management and oversight for the federal transit program that covered the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii, and three Pacific territories.
Mr. Rogers also served as an attorney in various FTA offices for the first 15 years of his career. His range of experience and expertise extended to dealing with two of the largest transit agencies in the nation (NYC and LA), complex budget, legal and financial issues, and responding to the needs of small and midsize transit operators, transit dependent communities, and tribal governments.
- 39 Years with Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- Several transit projects in excess of $1 billion
- Managed a $20 billion project investment portfolio
- Bachelor of Arts, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- Juris Doctor, Howard Univ. Law School, Washington, DC
• Public-Private Partnership Program Director – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Bus Rapid Transit Project Manager – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Ms. Sanchez brings extensive transit agency experience in the areas of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project planning and implementation of Public-Private Partnerships (P3). As Planning Project Manager on a diverse team, she helped launch California’s first BRT project, the Metro Orange Line. Among her responsibilities, she led the Federal (NEPA) and State (CEQA) environmental review process for the project. In addition, she participated in BRT workshops and shared BRT project development expertise with other interested transit agencies.
Ms. Sanchez was also a leader in the establishment of a P3 program at LA Metro. She researched the P3 concept for LA Metro transportation projects, then authored a policy paper that led to the Board’s approval of the P3 Program’s Framework and Work Plan. She then established LA Metro’s P3 Program, implementing and directing all related programmatic and development activities, to identify, evaluate and procure projects involving private sector financing, development, construction and operation. This resulted in $25 billion worth of potential projects identified and advanced as likely candidates, generating significant investor and contractor interest in a pipeline of projects.
- 30+ years of transit industry experience spanning planning, real estate, and contract management
- Led the establishment of LA Metro’s P3 program
- Extensive experience in Bus Rapid Transit project planning and implementation
- Transportation Leadership Academy University of California at Los Angeles Extension
- Bachelor’s Degree Fine Arts, California State University, Los Angeles
Michael J. Scanlon
• President – Transportation Consulting Services LLC
• General Manager/Chief Executive Officer – San Mateo County Transit District
• Director – Broward County Transit
• Director of Transit Operations – Port Authority of Allegheny County
For over 50 years, Mr. Scanlon has had a successful career in the public transit industry that included leadership positions in operations, management, and administration. He is a highly experienced Executive who provided oversight and direction for various mid-size and large transportation agencies.
Most recently Mr.Scanlon, was the Executive Director of the Caltrain commuter rail service serving San Francisco, San Jose, and Silicon Valley. As Director of Broward County Transit, he had oversight and management of an annual operating budget of over $60 million and a capital budget of more than $15 million. As the Director of Transit Operations for the Port Authority of Allegheny County, Mr. Scanlon had oversight and management of 2,700 employees organized into three primary groups and seventeen departments with an annual operating budget of $125 million.
- 50+ years of Executive level transportation agency experience
- Past Chair of American Public Transportation Association (APTA) where he has served and continues to serve on numerous committees, Emeritus Director member of APTA Board and task forces and member of the APTA Hall of Fame,
- Master of Science in Intermodal Transportation Management, Transportation Institute, University of Denver
• Principal Project Engineer –Parsons Corporation
• Chief Maintenance Engineer – Valley Metro
• Rail Fleet Services Engineering Manager – LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Mr. Shrimavle brings over 40 years’ experience in senior transit industry engineering roles with agencies and major prime contractors in the public transit sector. He has hands on experience in all areas related to rail vehicles, including engineering design, specifications development, testing, commissioning and system integration.
While at LA Metro, Mr. Shrimavle provided engineering leadership on a variety of rolling stock projects. As the Project Manager for the P2550 Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) procurement, he developed the engineering/procurement specifications and was responsible for the selection and oversight of the LRV manufacturer. In addition, he generated the engineering procurement specifications for the P3010 LRV. He also provided engineering support for the P865 and the P2020 LRVs as well as the A640 Heavy Rail Vehicle (HRV).
As Chief Maintenance Engineer at Valley Metro, he developed new LRV engineering and procurement specifications required for the rail extension program. He also provided engineering support to the LRV maintenance group, and developed streetcar engineering and procurement specifications for the agency under their expansion program.
- 49+ years of experience in all phases of electrical engineering and project management with extensive emphasis in the areas of Mass Transit Operations for Light and Heavy Rail.
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering (with P.E.’s in both California and Arizona)
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Polytechnic College, Bhopal, India
• Deputy Secretary for Rail, Transit, and Goods Movement – California Governor’s Office
• Consultant to the Speaker of the California State Assembly
Mr. Vargas brings over 33 years of professional experience with various state agencies and the California Legislature in executive positions responsible for policy development, program management, and project monitoring. As the Deputy Secretary for Rail, Transit, and Goods Movement, he was responsible for oversight and policy development of statewide passenger rail, freight rail and transit programs and goods movement through the state’s seaports, airports, and international ports of entry.
Further, as Consultant to the Speaker of the California State Assembly, he served as the Speaker’s senior policy, legislation and budget consultant for transportation, utilities and commerce and information technology. He also worked as the liaison with legislative policy and fiscal committees, local, state, and federal agencies, and the private sector to facilitate issue identification and resolution.
- 33+ years of executive level transit management experience
- Extensive legislative and policy development experience
- Staff Director of Legislative Transportation Budget Committee
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
•Regional Director, Business Development, Ecolane USA, Wayne, PA
•Paratransit/Rideshare Program Operations Manager – King County Metro Transit – Seattle, WA
•Accessible Services Administrator – Sacramento Regional Transit District
Ms. Vargas brings over 31 years of professional transit industry experience with various public agencies and private sector companies. As a member of the King County Metro Transit senior management leadership team, she was responsible for administrative operations related to the ADA paratransit accessible services and commuter van programs. Her responsibilities included oversight for 60 employees and an annual $80 million-dollar operating budget. She was also responsible for vehicle procurement and maintenance of a 350-vehicle fleet and over 4,000 commuter vans.
As the Regional Director of Business Development for Ecolane, a scheduling and dispatching software company, she was responsible for new business opportunities in 19 western and mid-west states with public transit agencies and private transit vendors. During her tenure with Ecolane she was an active participant on national, state, and local transportation association governing boards and committees.
Ms. Vargas also served as the Accessible Services Administrator for the Sacramento Regional Transit District. In this role, she was responsible for monitoring fixed-route, rail, and paratransit service for compliance with ADA federal regulations and oversight responsibility for a multi-million-dollar annual operating budget for paratransit services.
- Over 31 years of transit industry experience
- Extensive management and executive level experience
- Expert knowledge in ADA paratransit services including policy development, operations and compliance
- Bachelor of Arts, Environmental Studies and Planning, Sonoma State University
- Transit/Paratransit Management Program, Pepperdine University
• CEO – Omnitrans
• Assistant General Manager, Bus Service – Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
• Deputy Executive Officer – Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Mr. Victoria has over 41 years of metropolitan transit operations experience. He has led multiple agencies through the years with hundreds of employees on his teams while bringing numerous projects to fruition.
Responsible for the grant acquisition, construction, initiation and operation of Omnitrans’ first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) route at a cost of $192 million.
Managed the overall performance of Bus Service for the Washington DC Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, which includes a fleet of 1,500 buses and 4,000 employees with a 1,500 sq. mile service area in three jurisdictions, Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
- 20+ years of CEO and COO experience
- Managed an operating budget of $500 million
- Managed transit systems of 1,500+ buses and 4,000 employees
- Bachelor of Science, Business Management, University of Phoenix
• Acquisition Policy Officer – Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
• Director, Contract Administration – ITT Aerospace Controls
• Corporate Director, Contracts and Procurement – Infotec Development Corp
Mr. Vila is a hands-on executive experienced in acquisition policy, practice and project management, in both public and private sectors for 35 years.
Managed all phases of solicitation, analysis and negotiation of major agency service and equipment contracts in support of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s bus and rail transit operations, including major construction projects.
- 35 years of transit project management experience
- 20+ years of contracts management experience
- Certified Professional Contracts Manager
- Juris Doctor, Southwestern University School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics and Engineering, University of Colorado